Emmett J. Doerr Memorial Scout Scholarship
The National Catholic Committee on Scouting® has established the Emmett J. Doerr Memorial Distinguished Scout Scholarship to be awarded to five outstanding Catholic high school seniors who are Scouts in a BSA program and continuing their education in college. The requirements are listed in the Eligibility Requirements section on this page. Applications are due to the NCCS office by March 1 of each year.
Purpose of Scholarship:
To honor Mr. Emmett J. Doerr, who was a dedicated Catholic Scouter and a very active member of the National Catholic Committee on Scouting® (NCCS). He was the first recipient of the Brother Barnabas Founders Award. His other honors include the Silver Antelope, Silver Beaver and the St. George medals. The Doerr family and the NCCS are continuing his legacy by offering this scholarship in his name to five (5) distinguished Catholic Scouts.
- Five separate awards of $2000 each.
- Must be used for the year awarded unless approved by Scholarship Committee.
- Disbursement from the scholarship fund will be made directly to an accredited institution of higher learning at the beginning of the enrollment period.
- The scholarship will be used to defray necessary costs of the awardee's tuition, room or board.
- Be a practicing Catholic.
- Be a full time High-School Senior.
- Be a registered young man or woman actively involved with a Scout Troop, Varsity Scout Team, Venturing Crew or Sea Scout Ship.
- Held or is currently holding a leadership role in his or her unit.
- Earned the Ad Altare Dei or Pope Pius XII Religious Award.
- Earned the Eagle Scout, Silver Award or Quartermaster Award.
- Provided service to his or her home parish (Altar Server, Lector, Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, staffing youth retreats, etc.)
- Held or is currently holding a leadership role in a school or community organization other than scouting.
- Submit an application with four (4) letters of recommendations. One letter each must come from a religious institution, Scouting Unit, School, and Community.
- Submit official high school transcript.
- Submit an acceptance letter from an accredited institution of higher learning, if selected as a Scholarship recipient.
- Provide a 3 X 5 picture with application.
- Submit application to:
Boy Scouts of America
Attn: NCCS-Emmett J. Doerr Memorial Scout Scholarship
P.O. Box 152079
Irving, TX 75015-2079
- Only applications received by March 1st will be considered.
- Applications are reviewed by the NCCS Scholarship Committee and the top 10 are forwarded to the Doerr family for the final selection.
- The five (5) scholars will be selected no later than May 1st.
- Scholarship recipients will be notified no later than May 15th. Note: Only the winners are notified.
- A press release will be sent out on June 1st with the names of all the winners.
- Scholarship recipients must provide a copy of the institution of higher learning's billing information, as soon as possible, so that the award amount can be remitted.
- All information sent becomes the property of NCCS.
- All decisions of the Scholarship Committee are final.
NOTE: Applications can be obtained from NCCS:
2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014